How do you write a business blog? And why should you?
Well, if you’re reading this, chances are you’ve got a banging biz with a wicked website. Kudos to you, my friend.
And I have some good news for you.
Your DREAM customer is scrolling the web *as we speak* looking for exactly what you’re selling.
One small matter: how will they find you?
There’s something you can do RIGHT NOW to grow your business.
Write a blog!
And before you ask “what’s a business blog and how do I do it?” Chill. I’ve got you. Let’s break it down and make it happen.
What is a business blog?
First things first. What even IS a business blog? A blog is simply an online article written and published for web browsers’ reading pleasure.
If you’ve got a website, you can add a blog to it. You might want to call it your news page, journal, or something snazzier – as long as your customer understands what it is, you’re good to go.
Most website platforms make it simple to add a blog function to your site, or your web developer can easily do it for you.
Once you have a business blog, you can add fresh content to your website as often as you like – and the advantages are HUGE.
Benefits of blogging
Here’s a handful of advantages of having a business blog with fresh content added on the regs.
- Great for SEO – watch your Google ranking soar as you post relevant content your customers want to read
- Boosts web traffic – the more useful stuff you post, the more users will come across it and visit your website to find out more
- Converts more web browsers – blogs aren’t salesly, they’re informative and entertaining, so readers feel relaxed and receptive. They see you as a helpful resource, rather than an aggressive sales machine, making them more likely to buy
- Positions you as an expert – blogging on industry news and issues builds your rep as an authority on your subject
- Encourages brand loyalty – when customers see that you’re helpful and knowledgeable about your subject, and start to enjoy your writing style and content, they’ll keep coming back and recommending you to friends
- Shareable – great blogs are super shareable, because we all want to tell our friends about stuff we love.
What makes a good business blog?
So, what are the business blog basics you need to know before you get cracking?
There are different types of business blogs, including company news, expert opinion, how to guides/tutorials, reviews, comparisons, and listicles (my personal fave).
You can – and should – include a mixture of content types on your business blog, to keep readers informed and interested.
All good business blogs feature:
- A strong headline to draw readers in
- Multiple headers for easy reading
- Stats to support your points
- A mixture of long and short sentences to hold readers’ interest
- Call to action telling readers what to do next
How to write business blog posts
Before writing a business blog, put yourself in that dream customer’s shoes for a moment. What is their pain point? What are they worried about, or interested in learning about? Remember, your business blog isn’t about overtly selling your products or services. It’s about helping your customers and building that connection between them and your brand.
Once you’ve identified a great topic to blog about, let’s start writing.
The ideal length for a short blog is between 500 and 700 words, so aim for 500 words as a minimum. Longer form content is fantastic for improving your search engine ranking, as long as the content is still relevant and insightful to your target reader.
If you’re unconfident in your writing skills, download a spellchecker like Grammarly to catch any errors. However, don’t let this put you off writing a business blog. You’re the expert in your business, so who better to write posts your customers want to read?
Try to write how you’d speak, so your readers come to recognise and enjoy your distinct tone of voice.
Use short words instead of long ones – simplicity is key.
Explain around your subject – this aids comprehension and is also awesome for SEO. So, for example, if you’re writing about the benefits of soy candles, start with a header: What is a soy candle? Going back to basics is ALWAYS a good thing, as we can never assume our customers know everything we do about a subject.
Using your blog for marketing
Business blogs are an amazing marketing tool for your company, as they develop trust and build brand awareness.
You can use your business blog to market your products or services in loads of different ways, including posting links to social, sending it out as an email campaign, or filming the content featured in the blog as a YouTube video.
How to get support with business blogging
Need a little extra support venturing into the blogosphere? Help is at hand. I’m running an online course – Blog with confidence to grow your business – and I’d love to see you there and help you unlock the incredible benefits of blogging for your business. Find out more or bag your spot here: www.tinyurl.com/blog-with-confidence-register